Family-owned Europa-Park is the best theme park in Germany, no doubt about that.
The theming of the park is original, world-class and atmospheric, featuring European country-themed areas representing Austria, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia, Scandinavia, Spain, Switzerland and the UK. These are the unmissables:
• Silver Star: a high and fast strapped-in-by-the-belly roller coaster that makes everyone scream
• Euro-Mir: an innovative Russian space station-themed roller coaster that lifts you up in circles with great space-inspired music, warming you up for the wild down-and-around spin ride (my personal highlight)
• Poseidon Water Roller Coaster: a solid flume ride/roller coaster combination
• Swiss Bobsled Run: a classic of Europa-Park, made great by its well-designed Switzerland setting
• Cassandra’s Curse: a bewitched spinning-room dark ride with a Greek mythology theme
The only downside is that the park copied quite shamelessly from popular Disney rides/structures in its early days. There are so many ideas for theme park rides out there! Why the need to build clones of 'Jungle Cruise', Epcot’s 'Spaceship Earth'/'Space Mountain' and 'Pirates of the Caribbean'? Nevertheless, congratulations to the Mack family for their passionate dedication and for keeping it a family venture. It's a seriously marvelous theme park and my number two in Europe.
Chateau Balthasar, from where it all started
Europa-Park founder Franz Mack
Space Mountain-inspired roller coaster in the dark
Pirates of the Carribean-inspired boat dark ride
Ride, splash, float
Hybrid of roller coaster and water ride
Another splash ride
Cassandra's Curse ride
Classic roller coaster, one of the park's older rides
The great Euro-Mir coaster
Silver Star roller coaster: one of the world's best!
Silver Star in action
Europa-Park coaster jungle